Storm Preparation Tips
Severe weather can strike at any time. Below are several tips on how to be prepared in the event that severe weather strikes your area.
- Trim dead or weak branches from surrounding trees.
- Secure any outside objects that could be blown away.
- Shutter windows and secure outside doors. If shutters are not available, close window blinds, shades, or curtains.
- Postpone any outdoor activities.
- Designate a “safe” room in your house on a first floor that is without windows.
- Have a Fist Aid kit available and be sure all family members know where to find the First Aid kit.
- Write and video an inventory of your home, garage and surrounding property including serial numbers, model numbers, physical descriptions and price of purchases. Keep receipts if possible.
- Keep sliding glass doors wedged shut in high winds.
- Make sure your vehicle(s) are fueled.
- Plan how you will care for your pets. Gather necessary pet supplies and make sure your pet has proper ID and up-to-date veterinarian records.
- Have batteries, radios(battery powered) and flashlights available.
- If you have a generator, be sure it is fueled and operational.
- Practice safety when operating a generator. If connecting generator to household circuit, make sure a transfer switch is properly installed.
- Purchase a NOAA Weather Radio and be sure the batteries are operational.